Trasnslate.Net is a free tool for aggregating results of free language services from Internet
into single GUI. It operates like specialized webbrowser - connect to web sites, query information and then show results
in unified view.
Used language services include:
- Machine translators - allow translating phrases and sentences. Translate.Net use most popular of them, like
Yahoo Babel Fish translator,
SYSTRAN translator and many others.
Note that quality of Machine translation is far from good.
You can't translate poem or some complex text, often translation allow to understand meaning of sentence in foreign language but
can't replace competent human translations.
- Bilingual dictionaries - translate words or small sentences, like
Merriam-Webster English-Spanish-English dictionary or
Google multilingual dictionary and others
- Monolingual dictionaries - allow to understand meaning of words or sentences, such dictionaries often contains
many rare words which not supported by translators\dictionaries. As sample you can check Merriam-Webster dictionary
- Encyclopedias - gives much more information about terms and things. Translate.Net support only Wikipedia,
support of others planned.
- Other language services like thesauruses, phraseological dictionary, dictionaries of synonyms and dictionaries of antonyms, etc.
Please note that by default Translate.Net has enabled all such sources so you can get the very mixed results, if you don't
needed such detailed results you can disable some services or even build own set of exists services.